2023 NFL Mock Draft: Who Will Go Where?
The 2023 NFL Mock Draft is officially underway. As teams prepare for the upcoming draft, the NFL Combine has provided a wealth of information to help teams decide who they should select. With the Miami Dolphins forfeiting their first-round pick due to their violations of the NFL's anti-tampering policy, there are 31 first-round picks.
One of the most intriguing picks of the first round is the Houston Texans selecting quarterback Bryce Young out of Alabama at the second pick. Young measured up at 5’10 1/8″ and 204 pounds at the NFL Combine, which has some concerns about his size. However, Young has the potential to be the QB1 of this draft.
Lamar Jackson is set to remain with the Baltimore Ravens for at least 2023, as the team plans to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on him. This will prevent him from being traded unless two first-round draft picks are exchanged, alongside a new contract. To keep their quarterback happy (or help a new quarterback stand a chance), Baltimore needs to add more weapons at the wide receiver position, and selecting Jaxon Smith-Njigba from Ohio State would be a great way to build up their offensive supporting cast. Smith-Njigba led the nation in yards per route run (4.01) at just 19 years old in 2021, and finished third in FBS in receiving yards (1,595) and ranked first in PFF receiving grade (91.9) in 2021.
Another intriguing pick is the Detroit Lions selecting EDGE Will Anderson Jr. out of Alabama with the fourth pick. Anderson is a powerful defensive lineman with the versatility to play multiple positions. The Falcons also have a great opportunity to upgrade their offensive line by selecting Peter Skoronski from Northwestern with the eight pick. Skoronski is a great pass blocker who can protect the quarterback and open up running lanes.
The Seahawks, with their fifth pick, have an interesting decision to make. They signed Geno Smith to a three-year contract extension, and drafting Anthony Richardson from Florida would give them long-term upside at the position. With their 18th pick, the Lions get a much-needed upgrade on the defensive line in Wilson.
The Cowboys also have the opportunity to upgrade their offense with the 26th pick. Darnell Washington from Georgia is a great pick for them, as he can provide a much-needed boost to their tight end position.
0. “Rams 2023 NFL Draft: 7-round mock to start fixing the leaks” Turf Show Times, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/3/8/23629370/rams-2023-mock-draft-nfl-combine-standouts-byron-young
1. “When is the 2023 NFL draft? Everything football fans need to know” The Arizona Republic, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/03/08/when-is-the-2023-nfl-draft/69985332007/
2. “NFL GMs and execs mock out the 2023 NFL Draft’s top 10 picks” The Athletic, 6 Mar. 2023, https://theathletic.com/4278777/2023/03/06/nfl-general-manager-mock-draft/
3. “The Mock Draft Oscars and Lamar Jackson’s Cold War” The Ringer, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.theringer.com/2023/3/8/23630380/nfl-mock-draft-oscars-lamar-jackson-cold-war-baltimore-ravens-new-york-giants
4. “2023 NFL Mock Draft: Andrew Erickson (2.0)” FantasyPros, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/03/2023-nfl-mock-draft-andrew-erickson-2-0
5. “2023 NFL mock draft 5.0: Anthony Richardson vaults way up, while Jalen Carter ‘slides' to team that trades back” Yahoo Sports, 8 Mar. 2023, https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nfl-mock-draft-50-anthony-richardson-vaults-way-up-while-jalen-carter-slides-to-team-that-trades-back-235236989.html
6. “NFL Mock Draft 1.0: Stock rising and stock falling after the Combine” 98.5 The Sports Hub, 8 Mar. 2023, https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/nfl-mock-draft-1-0-stock-rising-and-stock-falling-after-the-combine/