Bobby Wagner and the Los Angeles Rams Part Ways
The Los Angeles Rams and eight-time Pro Bowl linebacker Bobby Wagner have mutually agreed to part ways after one season. Wagner, 32, spent his first 10 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks and signed a five-year, $50 million deal with the Rams in March 2022.
In 2022, Wagner started all 17 games for the Rams, racking up a career-high of six sacks, 140 tackles (10 for losses), two interceptions, and five passes defensed. He was named a Second-Team All-Pro for his efforts, and was graded as the top linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus.
According to OvertheCap.com, if the Rams release Wagner before June 1, they will save $5 million against the salary cap in 2023. If they designate it as a post-June 1 cut, they will save $8 million. Wagner was set to have a $12.5 million cap hit in 2023, but only had a $2.5 million cap hit in 2022 with the contract being backloaded.
Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reported that Wagner's release will take place at the beginning of the new league year, which starts on March 15th. At 32 years old, this individual will have the opportunity to explore the free-agent market early and will be able to market themselves when free agency starts. Seahawks general manager John Schneider said that Wagner acting as his own agent helped complicate things, but he wished he would’ve handled things better with the former Seattle star.
Wagner will be looking for a team that has a chance to win a Super Bowl in 2023. He is one of the most sought-after free agents and is expected to garner significant interest. He is still playing at an elite level, and his availability is one of his greatest assets, as he has not missed a game in the last four seasons and six of the last seven.
It is anticipated that the Rams will carry out additional roster changes as they get ready for the launch of free agency and the draft. Wagner's release will provide some cap relief, but L.A. will incur a $7.5 million dead money charge. They have the option of designating Wagner a post-June 1 release, which would save them $8 million, though that savings can't be credited to their cap until this summer.
Meanwhile, the Seahawks could be a potential landing spot for Wagner.
0. “Los Angeles Rams and linebacker Bobby Wagner mutually agree to part ways” kmmo.com, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.kmmo.com/2023/02/24/los-angeles-rams-and-linebacker-bobby-wagner-mutually-agree-to-part-ways/
1. “Why the Detroit Lions should sign Bobby Wagner” Pride Of Detroit, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/2/24/23612823/why-detroit-lions-should-sign-bobby-wagner
2. “Rams News: Bobby Wagner to be released after only 1 year in L.A.” Turf Show Times, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/2/23/23612583/rams-bobby-wagner-release-2023-free-agents
3. “Rost: Bobby Wagner is suddenly available — time for a Seahawks reunion?” Seattle Sports, 23 Feb. 2023, https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1742659/rost-bobby-wagner-suddenly-available-time-for-seahawks-reunion/
4. “Rams releasing LB Bobby Wagner after one season” NFL.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-releasing-lb-bobby-wagner-after-one-season
5. “Bobby Wagner released by Rams; Jeffery Simmons recruits him to Titans” Music City Miracles, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2023/2/23/23612655/bobby-wagner-released-by-rams-jeffery-simmons-recruits-him-titans
6. “Rams parting ways with notable star player” Larry Brown Sports, 23 Feb. 2023, https://larrybrownsports.com/football/rams-bobby-wagner-release/611851
7. “Rams, Bobby Wagner part ways one year after signing $50M deal: report” Fox News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rams-bobby-wagner-part-ways-one-year-signing-50m-deal-report
8. “Sources – All-Pro LB Bobby Wagner, Rams agree to part ways” ESPN, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35720839/sources-all-pro-lb-bobby-wagner-rams-agree-part-ways