Jalen Carter Facing Reckless Driving & Racing Charges in Connection with Fatal Athens-Clarke County Crash
University of Georgia defensive lineman Jalen Carter, a projected top-five pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, is facing charges of reckless driving and racing in connection with a fatal crash in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia. Arrest warrants were issued Wednesday for the 21-year-old athlete, who is considered one of the top prospects in the draft.
The crash, which occurred around 2:45 a.m. on Jan. 15, resulted in the death of two beloved members of the University of Georgia community: football player Devin Willock and recruiting staff member Chandler LeCroy.
According to the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, evidence indicated that both vehicles driven by Carter and LeCroy “switched between lanes, drove in the center turn lane, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists, and drove at high rates of speed, in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other.”
A toxicology report said that LeCroy's blood alcohol concentration was .197 at the time of the incident, more than twice the legal limit in Georgia. The investigation found that alcohol intoxication, illegal racing, carelessness when driving, and excessive speed all contributed to the accident.
Carter was booked into jail late Wednesday night and released on bond shortly after.
“It is my intention to return to Athens to answer the misdemeanor charges against me and to make certain that the complete and accurate truth is presented,” Carter said in a statement. “There is no question in my mind that when all of the facts are known that I will be fully exonerated of any criminal wrongdoing.”
University of Georgia head coach Kirby Smart expressed deep concern about the charges.
Smart expressed deep concern about the charges announced today, especially in light of the devastating losses of two beloved members of the community. As we support these families and evaluate what can be taken away from this dreadful disaster, we will remain committed to working closely with the authorities.
0. “Bodycam video: Officer pleaded with UGA player to stop speeding months before deadly crash” WSB Atlanta, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clarke-county/bodycam-video-uga-player-received-warning-about-speeding-months-before-charges-deadly-crash/5J7YPCPP5RDVJHPDZM2G7SXIC4/
1. “Jalen Carter returns to NFL combine a day after his arrest; top draft prospect facing misdemeanor charges” CBS Sports, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-carter-returns-to-nfl-combine-a-day-after-his-arrest-top-draft-prospect-facing-misdemeanor-charges/
2. “UGA football star Jalen Carter facing charges in fatal crash: What we know” FOX 5 Atlanta, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/deadly-uga-football-crash-what-we-know
3. “Ex-Georgia football star Jalen Carter turns himself in after deadly crash” CBS News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jalen-carter-football-turns-himself-in-deadly-crash-university-georgia-devin-willock-chandler-lecroy/
4. “Former Georgia player Jalen Carter booked, released on charges related to fatal car crash” 247Sports, 2 Mar. 2023, https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Former-Georgia-player-Jalen-Carter-booked-released-on-charges-related-to-fatal-car-crash-205582085/
5. “Top draft prospect Jalen Carter booked and released for reckless driving, racing in connection with fatal crash” NFL.com, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.nfl.com/news/top-draft-prospect-jalen-carter-subject-of-arrest-warrants-for-reckless-driving-
6. “Jalen Carter returns to 2023 NFL Scouting Combine after arrest for reckless driving, racing in connection with fatal crash” NFL.com, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.nfl.com/news/jalen-carter-returns-to-2023-nfl-scouting-combine-after-arrest-for-reckless-driv
7. “Jalen Carter releases statement on arrest warrant for racing” NBC Sports, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/jalen-carter-releases-statement-arrest-warrant-racing