Kyrie Irving, Luka Doncic Make Mavericks History with Big Win Over 76ers
The Dallas Mavericks took a big risk when they traded for Kyrie Irving in the hopes of pairing him with Luka Doncic to create a dynamic duo. On Thursday, the risk paid off as Irving and Doncic became the first Mavericks teammates in franchise history to score 40+ points in the same game, leading their team to a 133-126 win over the Philadelphia 76ers.
Irving, who is averaging 24.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 6.9 assists, 1.0 steals and 2.9 3-pointers per game on 49.2% shooting through seven games with Dallas, has been linked to the Lakers as a potential free agent this summer. However, according to Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus, Irving may be seeking a max contract in July and may stay put in Dallas.
The Mavericks have struggled defensively, allowing over 110 points in seven straight games. However, the offense has been on point with Irving and Doncic leading the way. Irving finished the game with 40 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 3-pointers, while Doncic had 42 points, 12 assists and 7 3-pointers.
Despite Irving's impressive performance and the potential of a successful partnership with Doncic, there is still uncertainty surrounding Irving's future with the Mavericks. Unless Irving and the Mavs come to an agreement on a contract extension prior to the summer, Irving will become a free agent. It is unlikely, however, that this will occur.
The Athletic’s John Hollinger wrote that Irving’s “wandering eye” for the Lakers this summer, the potential of Luka Doncic’s frustration boiling over and Jason Kidd’s history of things ending badly when they end, could lead to a disastrous situation in Dallas. However, one source told Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus that “Kyrie’s goal in pushing out of Brooklyn was to get his rights with a team willing to pay him. Dallas is where he’ll want to be.”
The success of this partnership between Irving and Doncic will be crucial for the Mavericks and the future of the franchise. If Irving and Doncic can build chemistry and continue to be successful on the court, then it could be a sign of things to come for the Mavericks.
0. “Report: Kyrie Irving expected to demand max contract in free agency” Larry Brown Sports, 27 Feb. 2023, https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/kyrie-irving-max-contract-free-agency-mavericks/612002
1. “Mavs’ Kyrie Irvng Expects Max Salary in Free Agency” Yardbarker, 27 Feb. 2023, https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/mavs_kyrie_irvng_expects_max_salary_in_free_agency/s1_17038_38516213
2. “Former executive warns about Kyrie Irving’s ‘wandering eye’ for Lakers and Luka Doncic’s potential…” Lakers Daily, 1 Mar. 2023, https://lakersdaily.com/former-executive-warns-about-kyrie-irvings-wandering-eye-for-lakers-and-luka-doncics-potential-frustration/
3. “This Is The Most Interesting Moment Of Luka Doncic's Career” UPROXX, 27 Feb. 2023, https://uproxx.com/dimemag/most-interesting-moment-luka-doncic-career-dallas-mavericks/
4. “What Are NBA Insiders Saying About Kyrie Irving's Longterm Future with the Mavericks?” Bleacher Report, 13 Feb. 2023, https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066844-what-are-nba-insiders-saying-about-kyrie-irvings-longterm-future-with-the-mavericks
5. “LA Lakers Rumors Roundup: Former executive wary of Kyrie Irving's “wandering eye” for Purple and Gold, Patrick Beverley opens up on his decision to request a trade, and more” Sportskeeda, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/la-lakers-rumors-roundup-former-executive-wary-kyrie-irving-s-wandering-eye-purple-gold-patrick-beverley-opens-decision-request-trade
6. “Kyrie Irving's Rumored Plans For The Offseason Revealed” HotNewHipHop, 27 Feb. 2023, https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/637916-kyrie-irvings-rumored-plans-for-the-offseason-revealed