Ravens and Jackson Enter Final Day of Negotiations Before Deadline
With the clock ticking, the Baltimore Ravens are preparing for every contingency as they enter the last day of negotiations with star quarterback Lamar Jackson. The former NFL MVP is set to become a free agent on March 7, and the Ravens have the option of placing the franchise tag on him by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.
The two main types of franchise tags are the exclusive tag, which prevents players from negotiating with other teams, and the non-exclusive tag, which allows players to negotiate with other teams. The Ravens have reportedly been mulling over the non-exclusive tag, which would allow Jackson to negotiate with other teams. If the Ravens decline to match the offer, they would receive two first round picks as compensation.
The Ravens and Jackson have been negotiating over a long-term deal since 25 months ago, but they’ve been unable to reach an agreement. Jackson is believed to be looking for a fully guaranteed deal in the region of $50 million annually, but the Ravens have been reluctant to offer him such a deal. According to ESPN, the Ravens offered Jackson a $250 million extension with $133 million in guaranteed money, which Jackson is believed to have turned down.
General manager Eric DeCosta met with Jackson in Miami over the weekend in hopes of reaching a deal, but the sides remain apart in contract terms. DeCosta has said the team has long prepared for the contingency plans involving Jackson, and is optimistic about reaching an agreement on a long-term deal.
The Ravens also have the option of trading Jackson for more draft picks. If Jackson is traded, the Ravens would receive at least several picks in return, giving them the freedom to build up other positions.
With the deadline looming, the Ravens must soon decide what to do with Jackson. While the Ravens are hopeful of reaching an agreement, they need to consider all of their options and make the right decision.
0. “Ravens' decision day on Lamar Jackson: Here's what you need to know about Tuesday's franchise tag deadline.” Baltimore Sun, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-franchise-tag-explainer-what-you-need-to-know-lamar-jackson-20230306-c4wiuzyphngxvkpuxyvdkvdzmi-story.html
1. “Latest On Ravens, QB Lamar Jackson” profootballrumors.com, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/latest-on-qb-lamar-jackson
2. “Lamar Jackson Team Odds: Ravens Falling, New Team Emerges” Last Word on Sports, 6 Mar. 2023, https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2023/03/06/lamar-jackson-team-odds-ravens-panthers-falcons/
3. “Calais Campbell says Lamar Jackson wants to get deal done with Ravens” ESPN, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35776261/calais-campbell-says-lamar-jackson-wants-deal-done-ravens
4. “Ravens take another massive step towards signing Lamar Jackson long term” FanSided, 6 Mar. 2023, https://fansided.com/2023/03/06/ravens-lamar-jackson-extension-rumors
5. “Ravens lining up contingency plans as contract standoff with Lamar Jackson continues” The Athletic, 2 Mar. 2023, https://theathletic.com/4266577/2023/03/02/ravens-lamar-jackson-contract-john-harbaugh/