Ravens Place Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag on Lamar Jackson, Opening Up Possibility of Him Leaving Baltimore
On Tuesday, March 7th 2023, the Baltimore Ravens placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on quarterback Lamar Jackson. This decision gives Jackson the chance to negotiate with other teams, and if he signs an offer sheet, the Ravens will have the right to match or receive two first-round picks in exchange. This move has generated a lot of speculation and discussion, as it opens up the possibility of Jackson leaving the Ravens.
The non-exclusive tag prevents Jackson from testing the open market, while the exclusive tag would have done the opposite. The Ravens' decision to go non-exclusive allows other teams to negotiate with Jackson starting March 13 when legal tampering begins. If Jackson agrees to an outside offer, Baltimore will then have the opportunity to match it or allow the quarterback to sign elsewhere and receive two first-round draft picks in return.
Jackson is reportedly seeking a fully guaranteed contract comparable to Deshaun Watson's five-year, $230 million deal last year. This deal is seen as a record for the highest guarantees given to an NFL player. There are two types of franchise tags, the exclusive and nonexclusive tag. The exclusive tag keeps Jackson from negotiating with anyone else, but it costs significantly more.
The Ravens have been in negotiations with Jackson for over a year, but have yet to reach a long-term deal. According to ESPN's Dianna Russini, the Atlanta Falcons have made it evident that they will not be pursuing Jackson after the announcement of his tag came to light. This has caused many to speculate which teams will be willing to offer Jackson a more lucrative deal.
The Ravens are betting that Jackson will test free agency and find out the market isn't as green as he thought. It is possible that the Ravens are prepared to equal any agreement he receives. They need to be aware of the quarterback market. The Ravens have until the summer to hammer something out.
The Giants were able to reach a long-term deal with Daniel Jones, allowing them to place the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley for the 2023 season. The Dolphins have been rumored to be interested in Jackson, but they don't have a 2023 first-round pick and are not expected to pursue him.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the non-exclusive tag carries a $32.41 million price tag and allows Jackson to negotiate with other teams in free agency.
0. “Analysis: Why Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson would not make sense for the Panthers” Charlotte Observer, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article272826820.html
1. “Ravens put non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson” NBC Sports, 7 Mar. 2023, https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/07/ravens-put-non-exclusive-franchise-tag-on-lamar-jackson/
2. “Ravens use franchise tag on Lamar Jackson: Top 12 teams likely to pursue star QB in 2023 free agency” CBS Sports, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-use-franchise-tag-on-lamar-jackson-top-12-teams-likely-to-pursue-star-qb-in-2023-free-agency
3. “Saints' Tyrann Mathieu reacts to Ravens using franchise tag on Lamar Jackson: ‘Feel some kind of way about it'” Fox News, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/sports/saints-tyrann-mathieu-reacts-ravens-using-franchise-tag-on-lamar-jackson-i-feel-some-kind-of-way-about-it
4. “The improbable way Dolphins could land Lamar Jackson. And Miami makes roster moves” Miami Herald, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article272856950.html
5. “Ravens' decision day on Lamar Jackson: Here's what you need to know about Tuesday's franchise tag deadline.” Baltimore Sun, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-franchise-tag-explainer-what-you-need-to-know-lamar-jackson-20230306-c4wiuzyphngxvkpuxyvdkvdzmi-story.html
6. “NFL Free Agency Rumors: Latest News on Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, and Lamar Jackson” Pro Football Network, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agency-rumors-news-0307-2023
7. “Lamar Jackson Guaranteed Deal Demand Yields Ravens' Franchise Tag” Yahoo Sports, 7 Mar. 2023, https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jackson-guaranteed-deal-demand-201201042.html
8. “Lamar Jackson's landing spots: Which teams could sign the QB?” FOX Sports, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/lamar-jacksons-landing-spots-which-teams-could-sign-the-qb
9. “Ravens Place Franchise Tag On QB Lamar Jackson” Steelers Depot, 7 Mar. 2023, https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/ravens-place-franchise-tag-on-qb-lamar-jackson/
10. “2023 NFL franchise tag tracker: Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard among players who received tags ahead of free agency” CBS Sports, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-franchise-tag-tracker-josh-jacobs-tony-pollard-among-players-who-received-tags-ahead-of-free-agency
11. “Lamar Jackson Given $32.4M Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag by Ravens Ahead of Deadline” Bleacher Report, 7 Mar. 2023, https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10055777-lamar-jackson-given-324m-non-exclusive-franchise-tag-by-ravens-ahead-of-deadline